Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Horses & Whales



My most recent art endeavor is one that combines several mediums and is an entry in Music & Masterpieces, an art event presented by The Omaha Symphony Guild and hosted by Rockbrook Village in Omaha, Nebraska. More information on this event can be viewed here: http://www.musicandmasterpieces.com/ My entry, a hand crafted 5' wide x 5' high wooden room screen with handpainted silk panels, entitled, "Going Home", was inspired by Dvorak’s 2nd Movement, Largo, from his New World Symphony, also known as “Going Home”. You can listen to this beautiful music here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fryuQVAuASs . The New World that Dvorak was referring to when he composed this music was actually that of the America's during the time of Hiawatha. To me, the music speaks of the timeless new world that continues to unveil itself to us: The massive untapped new world of the universe.

To create this as visual art I was drawn to the inspiration I have received from another piece of music. Since January of this year, I have been mesmerized by the music from the sound track of “Whale Rider”, composed by Lisa Gerrard . Each time I listen to it, I am not only visited by dreams of majestic whales, leading me to knowledge of changes that I need to make in my life, but also of horses. These horses run on land, as well as swim in water, taking me to the very depths of the ocean floor. The content of the dreams they have brought to me are both ethereal and powerful. You can listen to the opening music of this sound track here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rTQm2vvhuM

From time to time, I will be writing more about the symbolism of whales and horses and how they have created an impact upon my life. If you are in the Omaha area between now and September 18, stop in at Heller Art Images in Rockbrook Village to see this room screen, as well as all of the other fabulous pieces of art that are on display at the gallery.






1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sending you positive energy for your event tonight! You are amazing....