Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Body Beautiful


Are you perplexed as to why I would include figurative drawings in a blog that is supposed to be focused upon artful healing? I have always felt that the human body was beautiful. It is a study in perfection. Every part of it has a purpose that works together, when cared for, in harmony with the rest of it. When you view the body as you would a landscape, recreating the map of its curves and slopes, you are viewing its true essence. Creating this series of drawings of nude models was a personal healing experience.

When I began going to the classes, which are held at the Hot Shops in Omaha, NE, I cancelled my enrollment in a meditation class that I loved and had been going to for many years but met on the same night. The weekly Life Drawing classes became a series of mindful meditations for me that was a profound and transforming experience for me. You can check out the Hot Shops, its galleries and artists, the Life Drawing class, and all of its other classes here: http://www.hotshopsartcenter.com/classes/index.html

I became so engrossed in the work I was creating that sometimes, after the model had finished the timed pose, and I had stepped back from whatever I was drawing, I would wonder how I had created it. While drawing, I observed the model with an intuitive vision and saw their bodies in the format of colors and shapes and negative space. When the session stopped I dissolved my connection to the work I was creating and was able to objectively see how the design components had come together. It was exciting to me to view what had been created by me in a short period of time and to consider how rapidly I could do something when I focused my attention upon it so completely. I was not trying to create something of beauty, but was allowing beauty to create itself. Odd as it may sound, it was actually humbling to feel and see this occurring during each session.

Observing the models I was drawing, many of whom did not have perfect bodies by fashion magazine standards, pose with ease and pride in front of a room full of artists, allowed me to re-consider my inhibitions about my own body. Regardless of whatever changes I wanted to make for my body, I could love it and appreciate it in the process. Beauty is what we project outwardly from within us. We are able to view beauty when we make it our intent to see it...and that becomes an artful expression that is healing, both for ourselves, and for those with whom we interact.

3 comments:

Doe Grozs Art said...

I'm so pleased I came upon your blog.. no accident as you are speaking to my soul at this time with your thought provoking posts.
I've bookmarked you so I can return again.
thanks.
Doreen

Cheryl Finley said...

Kate,
This is just wonderful. And what food for thought you've given us. Beauty and authentic expression are healing on all levels. Thank you for sending your beauty out into the world...in your art, and words.
love,
Cheryl

Unknown said...

i have been wanting to comment on your blog since i first became aware of it, but ive sort of been in awe (that is my inner child speaking there...)i love your commentary here, and i remembered the one time i modeled for a friend of mine and what a healing experience that was for me...i have thought about modeling some more as well as drawing...
thank you for sharing your perspective.
~sueokieffe